Suspect Indicted in Shooting that Injured Oregon City Officer

A suspect has been indicted in the May 8 shooting on Highway 213 in Oregon City that left an officer injured and in need of surgery.

Gerald Leroy Barnes II.

Gerald Leroy Barnes II, 48, of Portland, faces three counts of attempted aggravated murder and other charges in connection with the high-speed police chase and shooting incident in which he was also injured.

Police say the chase began in Mulino shortly before 7 p.m. Saturday, May 8, when Clackamas County Sheriff’s Deputy Robert Cordova attempted a traffic stop on a 1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, driven by Barnes.

Barnes was reportedly driving 16 miles over the posted speed limit of 35.

The deputy caught up with Barnes’ vehicle several miles to the north, then activated his emergency lights to initiate a traffic stop on Highway 213.

Allegedly, Barnes refused to pull over and stop, instead fleeing north toward Leland Road, where Deputy Cordova advised dispatch he was in a pursuit.

Oregon City Police officers responded to assist — staging spike strips ahead of the pursuit at Highway 213 and Redland Road.

As Barnes approached the officers and spike strips, police allege the suspect opened fire with a custom pistol with a high-capacity single-drum magazine.

The suspect’s alleged weapon. Courtesy the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office.

Investigators say Barnes fired several shots into the vehicle and passenger-side window of Oregon City Officer Christopher Brosseau, with a fragment from one bullet hitting Brosseau in the eye.

Citizens, officers, troopers and deputies rendered aid to Brosseau as the pursuit continued. Officer Brosseau was later taken to a local hospital, where he underwent surgery.

The pursuit continued approximately another eighth of a mile, with the suspect slowing to about 30 mph and weaving toward the on-ramp to Interstate 205 northbound.

Barnes allegedly continued to fire at pursuing deputies, with one bullet striking the patrol car of Clackamas County Sheriff’s Deputy Jonathan Zacharkiw.

Barnes stopped his vehicle at the on-ramp and emerged, with deputies stopping several car lengths away and returning fire. Barnes was struck in the shoulder by a single bullet and dropped his gun on the ground.

Deputies then stopped firing and took him into custody without further incident, according to a joint release from the Milwaukie and Oregon City Police and the CCSO.

Deputies treated Barnes’ shoulder injury until American Medical Response paramedics arrived and took over care. AMR transported Barnes to an area hospital for treatment.

Detectives with the Clackamas County Major Crimes Team responded to the scene to process the scene, gather evidence, and conduct witness interviews.

Investigators recovered two additional loaded firearms from the vehicle, as well as a high-capacity two-drum magazine.

Barnes’ shoulder injury was non-life-threatening, and he was released from the hospital that same evening to investigators.

Milwaukie and Oregon City Police detectives assigned to the Clackamas County Major Crimes Team interviewed Barnes and transported him to the Clackamas County Jail, where he was booked on numerous charges

Bail was set at $1,000,000. He was indicted by the grand jury Monday, May 17.

Officer Brosseau will likely undergo more than one surgery before the long-term prognosis of his eye is known, Oregon City Police reported last week.

Authorities said the prognosis was unclear is Brosseau would recover his vision in that eye.

Help us build a sustainable news organization to serve Canby for generations to come! Let us know if you can support our efforts to expand our operations and keep all of our content paywall-free. #SwimWithTheCurrent!