Rescuers Aid Woman Who Fell Ill during 40-Mile Run around Mount Hood

Search-and-rescue teams associated with the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office aided a Hillsboro woman this weekend after she experienced an apparent medical episode 33 miles into a 40-mile run around Mount Hood.

Adena Vivanco, 40, reportedly began experiencing medical issues around 11 p.m. Saturday while running on the Pacific Crest Trail near Timberline Lodge. According to Sheriff’s Office search & rescue (SAR) coordinators, Vivanco had become dizzy and felt sick, and her lips began turning blue.

Fortunately, Vivanco had a running partner with her — Jenny Marietta, 43, of Forest Grove — who was able to climb to a point where she had cellphone reception to call for help.

The SAR coordinators used Marietta’s GPS coordinates to determine that she and Vivanco were likely located above Ramona Falls and below Paradise Park.

Members of the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office SAR Trail Running Team started from Timberline Lodge toward the likely location of the subjects. Meanwhile, members of CCSO SAR’s ground team deployed to Ramona Falls, hiking up from there.

Mountain Wave Emergency Communications sent a volunteer to assist with communications, and American Medical Response’s Reach and Treat Team also responded to help with the search.

Vivanco was located about 7 miles from Timberline Lodge, at about 4,200 feet of elevation. She was being kept warm by some campers in the area. Temperatures had dipped into the 40s overnight at that location.

Rescue teams administered fluids, and Vivanco began to recover. She was able to cross two rivers and hike out with rescuers, making it back to Timberline Lodge shortly before 8 a.m. Sunday morning.

This rescue had a good outcome: The patient was wisely running with a partner who was able to call for help. In addition, the increasing numbers of people recreating in the wilderness made it possible for Vivanco and Marietta to find others to help them stay warm.

Searchers had just come off another all-day SAR on Saturday. Because of these back-to-back missions, some rescuers found themselves ending a 26-hour day at the close of the Vivanco rescue mission.

A sick runner was able to hike down, including crossing two rivers, with the help of rescuers. Photo courtesy the Clackamas County Sheriffs Office.

Help us build a sustainable news organization to serve Canby for generations to come! Let us know if you can support our efforts to expand our operations and keep all of our content paywall-free. #SwimWithTheCurrent!