Only Sandy Officer Fired in Welches Shooting, Police Say

Initially described as a shootout, additional information released by police on Thursday has revealed that only a Sandy police officer, four months into the job, fired his weapon in a shooting that killed a man experiencing a mental health crisis and wounded a Clackamas County sergeant.

Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office personnel, along with officers from the Sandy Police Department, were called to the Mt. Hood Village RV Park in Welches July 3 on a report of a suicidal subject who was armed. Officers located Doug Diamond, 58, a Tualatin resident who was outside of his RV in the camping area.

County deputies, including a crisis negotiator, attempted to dialog with Diamond for several minutes, before issuing verbal commands that he refused to follow, police said. Officers attempted to subdue Diamond with a “less-than-lethal shotgun” and a Taser but were not successful.

When police attempted to physically apprehend Diamond, he produced a semiautomatic handgun, which he allegedly pointed at Clackamas County Sgt. Sean Collinson, who has been with the CCSO for 25 years.

Sandy police officer Michael Boyes fired his service weapon, striking both Diamond and Collinson, who sustained injuries to his arm and finger. Investigators say they now believe Boyes was the only person to fire a weapon that day.

The earlier reports from law enforcement, including a tweet from the CCSO’s official account, were based on “information initially available from the scene.” The tweet has since been deleted.

Officers rendered first aid to Diamond and Collinson, including a tourniquet for his injured arm. Diamond was pronounced dead at the scene. The sergeant was transported to an area hospital and is in good condition, recovering from his injuries at home, police said.

Also on the scene was William Wetherbee, who has 12 years of service with the Sandy Police Department.

A joint investigation including detectives from multiple law enforcement agencies is ongoing. The involved officers and deputies are currently on paid administrative leave, pursuant to deadly force protocol.

Help us build a sustainable news organization to serve Canby for generations to come! Let us know if you can support our efforts to expand our operations and keep all of our content paywall-free. #SwimWithTheCurrent!