All staff and approximately 600 students were evacuated from North Marion High School this morning after a reported natural gas leak nearby on Grim Road.
The evacuation began shortly after 9 a.m. and lasted for about an hour. It was only a precaution because of the high school’s proximity to the leak (there was no evidence that gas had actually entered the school).
The gas line rupture occurred just east of Boones Ferry Road. Northwest Natural was on the scene shortly thereafter and called in additional gas company resources to work on containing the leak.
By 10:07 a.m., the gas leak had been contained, and units from both Hubbard and Aurora Fire, along with NW Natural Gas employees, had ensured the area was safe for North Marion students and staff to re-enter.
Help us build a sustainable news organization to serve Canby for generations to come! Let us know if you can support our efforts to expand our operations and keep all of our content paywall-free. #SwimWithTheCurrent!