No One Hurt in Chimney Fire on South Casto Road

At approximately 9:15 p.m. Oct. 14, Canby Fire responded to a chimney fire on South Casto Road in rural Canby. When firefighters arrived, they found not only the chimney ablaze, but also the cedar shake roof, which had sustained substantial damage.  

A spokesman said no one was hurt in the incident, and there was very little damage inside the home, but that firefighters had to remove part of the roof to fully extinguish the blaze.

The district shared the following information about chimney fires:

How to tell if your chimney is on fire

  • Loud cracking and popping noise 
  • Flames shooting from your chimney 
  • Low, loud rumbling noise that sounds like a freight train or airplane overhead 
  • A lot of dense smoke 
  • An intense, hot smell 

If you’re in doubt about whether your chimney is on fire, dial 911 immediately.  

Preventing a chimney fire

  • Hire a professional and certified chimney sweep to inspect and clean your chimney annually. 
  • Cleaning your chimney is not a DIY job. There is little margin for error with the consequences putting you and your family at risk. 
  • Only burn dry or cured wood. Burning wet or uncured wood leads to more creosote buildup in your flue. It’s that creosote buildup that usually leads to the ignition of a chimney fire. 
  • Don’t burn garbage in your fireplace. Not only does garbage contain chemicals that are dangerous to inhale, it can also lead to more dangerous buildup of combustible materials in your chimney. 
  • Keep your fireplace clean. Never start a fire on top of a bed of coals or ash for a previous fire. Doing so can cause the fire to burn even hotter than normal, sparking a chimney fire. 
  • Install a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector close to your fireplace.

Help us build a sustainable news organization to serve Canby for generations to come! Let us know if you can support our efforts to expand our operations and keep all of our content paywall-free. #SwimWithTheCurrent!