Man Sentenced to 7 Years in Prison for Shooting at Molalla Police in 2021

A man was sentenced to prison on multiple felony charges after shooting at Molalla police and injuring a bystander last October, the Clackamas County District Attorney’s Office announced Thursday.

Brian Scott Mills.
Officials said Brian Scott Mills, 49, was sentenced to 88 months in prison with three years of post-prison supervision and no contact with the victims of the case.

Mills was also ordered to pay restitution for damage to a police cruiser, construction vehicle, a neighboring house across the street and a nearby storage company building, the DA’s office said.

The sentencing comes after Mills pleaded guilty last month to second-degree assault, three counts of unlawful use of a weapon and two counts of first-degree criminal mischief. Mills pleaded no contest to first-degree attempted assault.

During the incident on October 4, 2021, Molalla officers responded to Mills’ home on West Main Street to help the fire department with a reported medical call.

When police arrived, authorities said Mills put on body armor and began shooting a .50 caliber rifle out of his window — a military-grade weapon preferred by snipers and known for its ability to penetrate heavily armored targets even at long range.

“These are the same caliber that the military uses to pierce armored body vehicles during the war,” Clackamas County Senior Deputy District Attorney Scott Healy said during Mills’ first appearance in Clackamas County court.

Mills fired that weapon at the vehicle of a construction worker that the family had allowed to park in their drive — resulting in shrapnel hitting the driver’s back and neck. The driver — the only injury reported in the shooting — was treated and released later that day.

Mills also fired rounds toward the crowded parking lot of the Grocery Outlet and Dollar Tree and at a nearby house — where a bullet penetrated the bedroom of a 15-year-old girl while she was still inside, according to court records. Fortunately, she was unharmed.

Another bullet reportedly went through the window of a Molalla patrol car that was unoccupied at the time. No officers were injured in the shooting.

There were about 50 people in the area when Mills opened fire, according to police. Two family members, including a child, were reportedly at his home at the time.

Police spent about 40 minutes convincing Mills to surrender, ultimately arresting him safely.

Mills was the registered owner of two businesses listed at his home: a security services firm and a firearm and ammunition retail company. Officers reportedly uncovered a “massive amount of guns and weapons” at Mills’ residence following his arrest.

Earlier that year, the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office had revoked Mills’ concealed carry permit, citing a prior incident with Molalla police.

Help us build a sustainable news organization to serve Canby for generations to come! Let us know if you can support our efforts to expand our operations and keep all of our content paywall-free. #SwimWithTheCurrent!