For the first time in more than a quarter-century, the Cutsforth’s Cruise-In will not be held in downtown Canby this year. Last year’s event drew over 700 participants. The 26th annual Cruise-In had been scheduled for Aug. 29.
Cutsforth’s Market owner and longtime organizer of the popular car show Frank Cutsforth said the governor’s latest guidance (which recommends all large events be canceled or significantly modified through at least September) left him no choice.
“I’ve got no choices, Tyler,” Cutsforth said in a phone interview with the Canby Now Podcast Tuesday. “How do you do it? We can’t push it too far into the fall. The guidelines right now are for no more than 25 people. We’re way over that.”
He admitted that the fact that the classic car crowd tends to be a little older — and therefore, more susceptible to complications from Covid-19 — was something organizers had to take into account.
“You know, they love what they do,” he said of the car enthusiasts who often find their ways to downtown Canby for the Cruise-In. “It’s a lifetime investment for a lot of them. But there are younger people, too. They like to see what the guys are doing. It’s a good family event.”
The event is also a major money-making opportunity for local vendors and small businesses, as well as a fundraiser for several nonprofits and community organizations. For many of these businesses and organizations, the loss of the summer’s major events — including the Cruise-In — will be devastating.
He said he has gotten phone calls from a number of regular attendees from all over the county, including some who have been coming every year since the Cruise-In began. He said they have been disappointed, of course, but they understand the decision.
“It is what it is,” Cutsforth said. “I feel worse for our restaurants and the folks who are trying to make a living right now. This isn’t what I do to make a living. This is just to bring a little Americana to Canby. We’ll be back.”
The next Cutsforth’s Cruise-In has been scheduled for Aug. 28, 2021.
Later that same day, the Hotrod Dreamworks Annual Car Show and Car Giveaway was canceled for Aug. 1. Organizers are still accepting donations for the event’s intended charity, Relay for Life.
Help us build a sustainable news organization to serve Canby for generations to come! Let us know if you can support our efforts to expand our operations and keep all of our content paywall-free. #SwimWithTheCurrent!