A 40-acre fire that broke out at South Neibur and Redland roads Friday afternoon had been seemed accidental, investigators report.
Clackamas Fire investigators said the April 16 brush fire was ignited by an individual using a gas-powered chain saw without a spark arrester in place.
A spark from the saw landed in what investigators called “light, dry fuels,” which ignited the fire. High winds caused the blaze to quickly spread.
Clack Fire crews was called to the scene shortly before 1 p.m., when the wildland fire was approximately two and a half to three acres in size.
Residents within a half-mile of the blaze were ordered to evacuate, and as many as 17 homes were threatened. Steep, difficult terrain made the firefighting more difficult.
The fire eventually grew to 38 to 40 acres before multiple crews were able to bring it under control around 6 p.m.
Fire officials remind to ensure spark arresters are in place when operating gas-powered equipment, and take extra caution when increased fire danger is present.
All open outdoor burning is banned in the Canby Fire District and throughout Clackamas County, as unusually low humidity and high temperatures and winds have combined to mirror conditions not normally seen until late August.
Help us build a sustainable news organization to serve Canby for generations to come! Let us know if you can support our efforts to expand our operations and keep all of our content paywall-free. #SwimWithTheCurrent!