Fires Break Out at Two Clackamas County Homes

Clackamas Fire District responded to two residential fires on Sunday — both the result of chimney fires that got out of control.

Those involved in both homes all evacuated safely and called 911. No injuries were reported.

Clack Fire reminds everyone that home heating is the country’s second-leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries and the third-leading cause of home fire deaths.

Those with chimneys are advised to remember the following:

• Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.

• Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from heating equipment.

• Never use your oven or BBQ grill to heat your home.

Courtesy Clackamas Fire District.

• Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room.

• Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container outside and a safe distance away from your home.

• If you are using an indoor propane space heater that is meant to be used inside the home, make sure it is the correct size for the space or room it will be used in. Make sure it has a UL label showing it was tested in the Underwriters Laboratories.

• Never leave space heaters unattended and shut them off before going to bed.

• If using a generator make sure it is away from doors, windows and vents. Never use them in an enclosed area.

• Make sure you have working smoke alarms inside each sleeping room, outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home and check them monthly.

• Install carbon monoxide alarms outside of each sleeping area and on every level of your home and check them monthly.

Help us build a sustainable news organization to serve Canby for generations to come! Let us know if you can support our efforts to expand our operations and keep all of our content paywall-free. #SwimWithTheCurrent!