To honor his years of service and dedication to education and the community, Clackamas Community College Board of Education member Ron Adams is the recipient of the 2018 Oregon Community College Association‘s (OCCA) Howard Cherry Award.
The award is named for the late Dr. Howard Cherry, a lifelong advocate for education and community involvement and recognizes those who, by their contributions to the community college cause in Oregon, have brought recognition to community colleges statewide.
“Ron Adams is a selfless man who only wants the best for students,” CCC President Tim Cook Said. “His strong work ethic and big heart has made Clackamas Community College a better place. He is definitely worthy of this honor.”
Adams has served on the CCC Board of Education since 2003 and represents West Linn and Wilsonville. He is a longtime resident of West Linn and has served the community for 25 years as a West Linn Lion and as the program director of the Oregon Youth Conservation Corps. He was an Oregon state representative and served as chair of the undergraduate business program at Marylhurst University.
During his tenure at Clackamas Community College, Adams has helped the college achieve many milestones. College accomplishments include:
- 2007 – Successful president search
- 2009 – Go Oregon stimulus package funding
- 2011 – Approval of three-year $18 million grant to support CASE strategies to expand and enhance career pathways
- 2012 – National Guard awards CCC Family Program Community Purple Award
- 2014 – Passage of a $90 million bond measure
- 2016 – Completion of $10 million Foundation campaign that raised more than $11 million
- 2017 – CCC named top college for vets by Military Times
- 2017-18 – Successful president search
- 2018 – Restoration of the Environmental Learning Center
The OCCA represents Oregon’s 17 community colleges and their elected board members by advocating, communicating and collaborating with them to strengthen community colleges in the state.
Help us build a sustainable news organization to serve Canby for generations to come! Let us know if you can support our efforts to expand our operations and keep all of our content paywall-free. #SwimWithTheCurrent!