Canby School Classes Canceled until Level 2 Order Lifts

Classes in both learning models of Canby School District will be canceled until the level 2 evacuation order lifts — likely Tuesday or Wednesday of next week, officials said Friday.

This means the first day of classes will not be held Monday, Sept. 14, as previously reported.

“While the fire threat continues and air quality worsens, the focus on your safety and wellness is of the utmost importance,” Canby Superintendent Trip Goodall said in an email to families Friday. “We will NOT be starting classes on Monday, Sept. 14, as planned. We will not return to school in either learning model until the City of Canby is out of the Level 2 evacuation order.”

Many of the district’s staff and families have evacuated their homes, Goodall said, and they need to give them time to return to their homes when it is safe to do so.

“When that time comes, everyone will be in a better position to focus on teaching and learning,” Goodall said. “We expect this will be Tuesday or Wednesday. We will continue to keep you informed.”

In a separate letter Friday evening, Canby High School Principal Greg Sunset called it an “understatement to say this week did not start and end as we anticipated.”

“The school start was delayed due to the weather and wildfires and we are still not sure when our first day will be,” he said.

The latest announcement means that the start of a school year already drastically impacted by the coronavirus pandemic has been postponed at least one full week by the apocalyptic wildfires that have devastated the county and displaced an estimated 40,000 people.

Help us build a sustainable news organization to serve Canby for generations to come! Let us know if you can support our efforts to launch a 21st-century newspaper today. #SwimWithTheCurrent!