PORTLAND, Ore. – Disturbing surveillance video from TriMet has revealed the moment a Portland man launched a six-inch dart into another passenger’s back at an East Portland MAX station, leaving the victim with a life-threatening injury.
Attack Caught on Camera
According to a probable cause affidavit, the incident occurred on June 17, 2024, at the East 162nd Avenue MAX platform.
Footage showed 40-year-old Joseph Naes using a slingshot to fire a dart at 33-year-old Logan Sharp as he waited for the train. The projectile struck Sharp squarely in the back, puncturing his lung.
Prosecutors later said the wound was so severe that it could have killed him without immediate medical attention.
Adding to the horror, surveillance video reportedly captured Naes celebrating after the attack, seemingly proud of what he had done.
Retaliation for Earlier Confrontation
Authorities determined that the assault was not random. A week earlier, Naes and Sharp had a heated exchange on the same platform.
During that encounter, Sharp intervened after witnessing Naes striking a woman on the head. His attempt to defend her led to tension between the two men.
Prosecutors said Naes carried out the dart attack as retaliation for Sharp’s intervention.
Charges and Plea Deal
Naes was arrested and charged with multiple crimes, including:
-
Second-degree assault
-
Unlawful use of a weapon
-
Fourth-degree assault (stemming from the earlier incident with the woman)
In court, Naes pleaded guilty to second-degree assault and unlawful use of a weapon. He also entered a no-contest plea to the fourth-degree assault charge.
By accepting the plea deal, Naes admitted responsibility for the dart attack while avoiding a trial that could have carried even steeper consequences.
Sentencing
On August 25, 2025, a Multnomah County judge sentenced Naes to five years and 10 months in prison.
Prosecutors emphasized the seriousness of the crime, noting both the deliberate nature of the attack and the severe harm caused to Sharp.
“This was an act of calculated violence,” one prosecutor argued, stressing that Sharp’s only “offense” had been stepping in to protect a woman the week before.
The Victim’s Ordeal
Sharp survived the stabbing thanks to emergency medical care, but not without lasting trauma. A punctured lung can lead to long-term breathing issues, and prosecutors noted that his recovery was both physically painful and emotionally taxing.
Friends and supporters of Sharp described him as someone who simply wanted to do the right thing by standing up for another passenger. Instead, he became the target of an unusual and highly dangerous act of violence.
Community Safety Concerns
The attack sparked renewed concerns about safety on Portland’s transit system. While TriMet has dealt with incidents ranging from fights to thefts, the use of a slingshot and dart as a weapon was described as both rare and alarming.
Transit riders expressed relief at Naes’s conviction but also frustration at what they see as ongoing risks while using public transportation.
Officials said the case underscores the importance of surveillance systems on TriMet property, which allowed investigators to clearly document the crime and secure a conviction.
Moving Forward
With Naes behind bars, prosecutors and TriMet leaders hope the sentence sends a message that violent acts on public transit will not be tolerated.
As Sharp continues his recovery, community members have praised his courage for standing up against violence—even as he became a victim himself.
For TriMet passengers, the chilling case is a reminder of the unpredictable dangers that can emerge in public spaces—and the importance of vigilance in keeping the system safe for everyone.
Leave a Reply